Child Custody in Visalia, CA
Your child or children are the most important people in your life, which is why if you are getting divorced or are involved in a child custody dispute, it is crucial to have an experienced family law attorney who can help to protect your rights as a parent. While the parties may wish to dissolve their relationship with one another, the relationship with their children continues. In California, issues pertaining to custody of children are often the most emotionally demanding and painful and require the attention of an attorney who is familiar with family and child custody law.
COMMON CHILD CUSTODY SITUATIONS WE ASSIST WITH
- Enforcing the visitation agreement if the custodial parent is in violation.
- Handling issues related to requests for relocation (move-away orders)
- Modifying the parenting plan or opposing such request
- Modifying a visitation schedule
- Assisting grandparents seeking visitation rights
Parenting is one of the top issues divorcing couples face. They may worry about schools, what extracurricular activities the children will be involved in, their living situation, medical issues, as well as many other concerns.
HOW CHILD CUSTODY IN CALIFORNIA IS DETERMINED
Judges in California try very hard to be fair in decisions of child custody cases. In most cases, the central issues debated between the parties are custody, child support and visitation.
There are many determining factors in deciding which parent will get custody. The goal is to impose as little change and disruption for a child’s wellbeing as possible.
Some of the key factors that the court considers when awarding child custody are:
- Who is the primary caretaker
- Quality of home environment
- Parenting skills of each parent
- Mental and physical status of each parent
- Work schedules and availability to the child
- If a child is old enough, his or her preference.
- Sibling situation and where they reside as well as the relationship
- Each parent’s ability to provide for their children.
- Each parent’s work schedule.
- The child’s relationship with siblings and other family members.
- Each parent’s willingness to cooperate with the other parent.
CONSULTATIONS & ADVICE
Our office is accepting free first time in-person consultations, as well as over the phone & video consultations via Zoom/Facetime video conferencing. The initial consultation between attorney and client is an important interaction in determining the direction of a family law case. It is during this consultation that the attorney discerns the particulars of the case, the history of the client’s marital relationship, and the client’s expectations and needs. Both Scott Lyons and Louis Lyons, with their invaluable experience of the judicial process, will clearly explain to the client their rights, responsibilities and what to expect from the court.
Other Practices Areas
Our firm is designed to take care of our customers during a traumatic time. That includes offering free consultations and discounted rates for our services.
The fact that we care about our clients helps us to better work for them, advocate for them, and, when necessary, fight for them.
1010 West Main Street
Visalia, CA 93291